redirection

Grind after Corona

Hey everyone,

I have some time now and wanted to start a blog for quite some time now anyways, even if it’s just in english, and I think the current situation is perfect to do so. I will just keep this as one thread and will not open many seperate blogs, so that we might be able to see the difference in terms of how games change. I will not post every session I play here because it just makes no sense, however my graphs will always include EV because this is what matters, not always actual win or loss in €.

To those that do not know me:
I am 27 years old and from Germany. Most of the time you will see me at the Double or Nothing SNG Tables, but I also enjoy playing MTTs, sadly with limited success so far :smiley: I have a job that I really like, however I still grind a lot I’d say.

As for the topic of this blog:

As for most Grinders, the Corona-time and increased traffic has been pretty good to me:

This is all DoNs (5€-20€ buy in, many of them 5€ 6max DoNs) since 20th of March since France had somewhat of a lockdown. You can add roughly 1,5K, maybe more, in Rakeback.

As comparison, this was my year pre rakeback 1st january-19th of March:

See the difference? :smiley: However, I played almost exclusively 6max DoNs 5€-10€, without table selection, usually 30+ tables. It simply is just super hard to be better than breakeven with this setup.

So this is my introductional post, however I will gladly answer any questions about the state of games etc. that you might have, feel free to post in French, however I will only reply in english.

GL a tous :wink:

EDIT: I do not know how to embd in the pictures correctly, what did I do wrong?

Nice!

I don’t find the way to fix it with imgur (i’m a noob) but you can import the picture from your pc

img —> choisir un fichier—>transferer—>inserer

I don’t have any questions as I rarely play DONs by now (used to clear my tickets that way, saw you a few times there :wink:slight_smile: however it just feels nice to get new blogs on the forum

Thank you for sharing, gl

kroktachon:
Nice!

I don't find the way to fix it with imgur (i'm a noob) but you can import the picture from your pc

img ---> choisir un fichier--->transferer--->inserer

A fellow Regfish... nah, just joking... Shadourow helped me fixing it, ty :D
Hey everyone,

I have some time now and wanted to start a blog for quite some time now anyways, even if it's just in english, and I think the current situation is perfect to do so. I will just keep this as one thread and will not open many seperate blogs, so that we might be able to see the difference in terms of how games change. I will not post every session I play here because it just makes no sense, however my graphs will always include EV because this is what matters, not always actual win or loss in €.

To those that do not know me:
I am 27 years old and from Germany. Most of the time you will see me at the Double or Nothing SNG Tables, but I also enjoy playing MTTs, sadly with limited success so far :D I have a job that I really like, however I still grind a lot I'd say.

As for the topic of this blog:

As for most Grinders, the Corona-time and increased traffic has been pretty good to me:

This is all DoNs (5€-20€ buy in, many of them 5€ 6max DoNs) since 20th of March since France had somewhat of a lockdown. You can add roughly 1,5K, maybe more, in Rakeback.

As comparison, this was my year pre rakeback 1st january-19th of March:

See the difference? :D However, I played almost exclusively 6max DoNs 5€-10€, without table selection, usually 30+ tables. It simply is just super hard to be better than breakeven with this setup.

So this is my introductional post, however I will gladly answer any questions about the state of games etc. that you might have, feel free to post in French, however I will only reply in english.

GL a tous :wink:

EDIT: I do not know how to embd in the pictures correctly, what did I do wrong?
PlzBeNice:
I might make a list of Top Regs or Bad Regs in my games at some point, just because I have no problem making this public.

Nice ! Don't hesitate to add silly grades as well, like :
- Shadourow, 10.26/10 (I know that I definitely deserve that note)
Shadourow:
I might make a list of Top Regs or Bad Regs in my games at some point, just because I have no problem making this public.

Nice ! Don't hesitate to add silly grades as well, like :
- Shadourow, 10.26/10 (I know that I definitely deserve that note)

Oh I will think about it, very nice suggestion, but I'm not a fan going beyond 100% in anything, and I can not rate anyone above 100% because I already am 100% :twisted:

Bonsoir,

todays post I will start off with 2 pictures:

Can you already guess what I mean? You probably guessed right: Regfest.

More importantly, I have absolutely no idea why most of these Regs play these games. Is it Ego? Is it thinking they are better than everyone else? Well, one thing to say, the big winner of these games is Winamax and nobody else (maybe in the 2nd picture Supaelite is the only one making a small ROI longterm, everyone else will breakeven or lose in a game like this).
Don-King (yes, I said I will call out Regs freely and this will always be like this in this thread) just starting his session, firing up Shiva without any fear, making it 6/6 Regs when he regged this 20€ DoN in the 2nd picture. Absolutely not understandable to me, especially because his good overall ROI is only a result of playing a lot during nighttime when games are pretty much free of Regs. Does not seem like he is aware of this though.

I myself do not use Shiva exactly for this reason - playing such games is just not going to be profitable, it might be more profitable longterm to just register for a random 2€ DoN than playing a game like this. What is everyone thinking? I do not know. A FR DoN is raked with 7%, that means every player with a ROI of -7% or better (yes, exactly, minus 7) will steal you money over a random Fish registering the game. It’s simple maths, and I thought Poker players would need some skill in maths, it does not seem so. Yes, some Regs in these games are really bad, and everyone playing these games regulary knows who I mean. However, they will still lower the ROI of everyone.

The same thing happens in 6max-DoNs, everyones ego seems to be so high, they just don’t care, or they are too lazy to register themselves and just let Shiva do the work and they take the risk of playing unprofitable games.
In FR’s however it is taken to a much more extreme. Fire Shiva - you are settled. This applies to almost all Regs there. They would even play Games with 10/10 Regs just to get 100 tables up.

Over the longterm, if games stay like this and Regs stay this naive, everyone will pay the price. (today volume was much better than yesterday, however, as you can see, we also had a lot more people starting games, and I got in 107 DoNs, all Fullring, in ~3,75 hours while not regging some games for above reason and while dropping my table count overall)
Games will die again because no one will have a meaningful winrate anymore, everyone makes less money while more fish will quit the FR-DoNs again because they do not want to play vs. the same people over and over again. Well, we will see what this will lead to, but I am not optimistic.

hey PlzBeNice, thanks for starting this blog, I’m glad to read these smart thoughts, very interesting point of view.
I will not consider ‹ Shiva › with the same point of view right now
:laughing:

Thank you :slight_smile: I actually like making such posts, it helps me to reflect myself in terms of poker and get a better view about things, which is a very important skill in my opinion (in both, poker and life overall of course) :smiley: and I feel many people in both « worlds » lack this skill. Sure, confidence is important and good, but not to an extend that it turns into stupidity.

As for Shiva, I do not really mind the option itself because I think you can unregister from games while using it. I myself register every game by hand, however I always have the lobby in view to unregister where necessary. Over the last 2 months there was almost no bad game running, and 5€’s were still really good today, however I think game-selection will be an important task over the next weeks, at least until the bad regs quit the games again. Well, we will see :wink:
gl at the tables

PlzBeNice I’ve noticed that you mix the game-formats when you are in big multi table session, 6max + FullRings + some MTTs sometimes.

Do you mix the all the tables on a single " stack tables" or maybe you use the ‹ ‹ Mosaïque › › or « Cascade » function?

I’m wondering because obv. strategies & dynamic are a little bit different from 6max or FullRing…
Besides, few days ago I’ve suggested to Winamax support adding the possibility to choose a different carpet color for 6max-&FullRing.
Would be nice to implement this on a future update :slight_smile:

Hey my friend!
It’s nice to see you here. Your biography is super cool. You are doing very well. I confirm that there are very few good regs. Good luck my friend

Hi,
I just discovered your post as I follow Darcvadehors’ one.
I’m very impressed by the way you’re mutitabling with success.
At the moment I play on a single screen and I’m stuck playing 4 tables.
With the tile display mode you can only play 6 tables (always on display tables) and my tracker’s informations sometimes cover the button, the board or other Winamax’s software informations.
I suppose you’re using multiple screens and some other tips like autohotkey or Placemint.
Hope having the pleasure to meet you at tables as it would mean I leveled up (for the moment I play the 2€ and I will try the 3€ soon).

Hello guys!
Sorry for my inactivity lately - have heavily been working on improving my MTT game lately, played some sessions on PokerStars.eu, also took coaching
I will answer to the individual questions tomorrow.

Right now I am in the process of thinking about a challenge to get me motivated again.
Maybe anyone has an idea? I think of something kind of stupid, like grinding a small Bankroll up, just to show everyone can still do it in 2020! :smiley:

Any ideas in terms of what amount to start? I will surely not start from 0€ because this is just a waste of time, I just want to regain my passion + motivate others to maybe do a similar project.
Maybe something like « 50€ to xxxx€ » would interest many of you?

Best Regards!

A challenge double or nothing or challenge no limit sng is very good as challenge =)

If you come on the micro limit I will be at the tables, it could motivate you more like for me = p

Have a good day

Hi PlzBeNice,

Thanks for your blog :slight_smile:

If MTTs game is your favourite game type, what about trying to do a challenge in MTTs ? :wink:
Maybe a way to regain motivation ? :wink:

GL whatever your choice !

Sorry for delay guys :D since I work in a primary school and school started as usual again this monday I feel pretty exhausted, my motivation to grind is probably at rock bottom right now :? Hopefully I get around that soon.

Gold&Shower:
PlzBeNice I've noticed that you mix the game-formats when you are in big multi table session, 6max + FullRings + some MTTs sometimes.

Do you mix the all the tables on a single " stack tables" or maybe you use the ''Mosaïque'' or "Cascade" function?

I'm wondering because obv. strategies & dynamic are a little bit different from 6max or FullRing...
Besides, few days ago I've suggested to Winamax support adding the possibility to choose a different carpet color for 6max-&FullRing.
Would be nice to implement this on a future update :)

Yes I mix all tables in one stack, I do use Placemints which gets all my tables into one Stack at the top right of my screen + one other stack to move one table out of the stack, usually a deep MTT run or a DoN with a difficult bubble situation that needs my attention
However I think it's just something to get used to - my game in FR DoNs definitely suffers the least with the number of tables because it's just so easy to be profitable even playing tight.

In SH DoNs I miss a lot of spots (most that I miss is very marginal but I also do some very severe folds). I would say my ROI in these suffers by like 2% in the 5€+ 6max DoNs, but only the best regs make more in winrate than with rakeback in these anyways.

MTT suffers the most for sure though mixing many DoNs inbetween and I definitely need to find a solution for this, play less tables when I have MTTs running etc.

Mosaic is what I started with back in the day but I could not play more than 12 tables or so with that, I definitely know players playing quite big volume though with Mosaic, for multitabling itself it definitely is the best option, but obviously with Stacking you can play more tables because your mouse has to move less.

Changing the carpet colour would surely help some of you guys, but like I said, just something to get used to, and I am sure after a few Sessions of mixing you will automatically see if a table is 6max or 10max :D

dicentim974:
Hi,
I just discovered your post as I follow Darcvadehors' one.
I'm very impressed by the way you're mutitabling with success.
At the moment I play on a single screen and I'm stuck playing 4 tables.
With the tile display mode you can only play 6 tables (always on display tables) and my tracker's informations sometimes cover the button, the board or other Winamax's software informations.
I suppose you're using multiple screens and some other tips like autohotkey or Placemint.
Hope having the pleasure to meet you at tables as it would mean I leveled up (for the moment I play the 2€ and I will try the 3€ soon).

Hey, there is absolutely nothing wrong with playing just 4 tables. Everyone has a different comfort-zone, I value hourly-rate the most when grinding and for me it's the highest playing as many tables as 30 or more, however everyone is diferent and everyone enjoys the grind in a different way (afterall in my opinion we should all still somewhat enjoy the game, even people who play just for the money, which I do not, I would say at least 50% is still enjoyment. I would probably not play without making a single Cent though, to be honest ). Also, even playing 4-6 tables it is possible to make some good pocket-money over the month playing the game, so to say, you will improve a lot faster than a masstabler, and naturally have a bigger possible ROI. So no need to be discouraged or anything

As for my grind I use just one monitor (28" though I believe) and no hotkeys. I use Placemints though as written in my reply to Gold&Shower, and PT4 (I used no HUD until like 1 year ago though)

Darcvadehors:
A challenge double or nothing or challenge no limit sng is very good as challenge =)

If you come on the micro limit I will be at the tables, it could motivate you more like for me = p

Have a good day

OnceUpnATime:
Hi PlzBeNice,

Thanks for your blog :-)

If MTTs game is your favourite game type, what about trying to do a challenge in MTTs ? ;)
Maybe a way to regain motivation ? ;-)

GL whatever your choice !

Thank you for your suggestions guys :D I have decided most likely I will just do a straight grind-up challenge and of course blog about it.
I have not yet decided about an amount - I do still think a 50€ Starting Bankroll is a good starting point. I would start with less, but I still think starting with just 30€ there is still a decent chance of going broke even in 0.50€ DoNs, not likely, but possible.
Grind will be as usual, SNGs + MTTs, I think it can also help people to see what Bankroll Management to apply. I still see many many people playing a way too aggressive bankroll management (see the people always moving up and down in DoNs after losing 40 buy ins or something). And besides, like I said, I would like to show all the aspiring grinders that it is well possible to grind up a small amount (everyone should be able to afford 50€).
Any other suggestions, very welcome though.

More details on this soon though, thursday is fathers day, germans celebrate this day with loads of alcohol usually and I am not different :D so we will see when I am getting back to the tables either way, not sure.

GL all

Salut a tous,

tonight after my session I will write an update before visiting my family over the weekend. Samplesize since life got back more to the norm in France is not huge yet, but probably enough to take a look at.
I am very happy that even a few of you private-messaged me that they would like me to update, I was just very busy with the grind, but it certainly increases my motivation seeing that some people actually read this :smiley:

Gl at the tables all

So, long time no see :smiley:
In my last posts I have written about thinking about creating a challenge and grind up a small bankroll, however I have withdrawn this idea. It just is not worth it grinding Microstakes to be back at my normal Stakes at some point. Also I kind of have found my passion for the grind again.

Let me start straight off with results since 11may when life got back to (more) normal in France, and, to say in advance, games and traffic got a lot worse again:

Some wrong games are added (MTTs, not sure how to remove them) and some SNGs are missing. According to Sharkscope like 160 Games are missing and total profit is 760€. Well, whatever, it’s a better indicator than nothing.
Overall of course I am satisfied with this overall result so far, everything over 0.20€/game in EV pre rakeback I am very happy about, makes a hourly of over 10€ + Rakeback in my case.
5€ 6max have been a lot worse (even at night time you sometimes see 2-3 of the same Regs in every game, which definitely makes it hard but some study in overall game theory + the former good 6max Regs like Akerman16 and Winfilberte leaving the games have made up for it. Surprisingly the result is really good in these games even playing quite many 5€ 6max Deglingos DoNs, where edges are of course pretty thin.

MTTs I also had a few good results, 2nd in Hara-Kiri, won a 180max, it seems like it’s getting better and that some studying has helped. I feel a lot more confident in several Spots too.

During this timeframe I had a break of 10 days so effectively this graph shows only 9 days of play. Since re-starting last friday, with rakeback I profited a little bit over 1K (won daily Leaderboard 3 times and Diamond3 Rakeback), which of course is great, but I expect not to be able to keep it up like this of course.
As a part-time player (although I put in quite many hours for someone having a job alongside) I am happy with any month I make over 1K after rakeback.

What originally got me motivated to give the poker grind more power again:
The day before I started (fathers day, not sure if you have that too at the same date) usually involves a lot of drinking here. I started with chilling in the garden with my grandfather and drinking some beers, later went to a house party. I stayed on good alcohol-level all evening, not too much, just fine… and met a girl there, 18 years old (the dream, for an « old guy » like me, although she first said she thinks I’m ~20 (I do look younger than 27 though, to be fair, and definitely like girls younger than me more than of my age)), we talked loads, she did all the stuff as if she was attracted (played in her hair the whole time when we talked and whatever, all the stuff) and we « connected well » so to say. When suddenly at 3am I wanted to make my last drink (Vodka+Red Bull, just love it) and just smashed the whole rest of the bottle of Vodka by accident in my glass and drunk it anyway. First the pure vodka, then mixed with some energy, but it definitely had to be ~300ml of Vodka. Next thing I know is I woke up in my bed the next morning, not sure what happened inbetween. Whatever shit I must have done, definitely nothing good, because I have since received 1 message from her, saying I am too old (she thought I am 20, wtf?!) and that is it :smiley:
Is age like this really a problem for women?
Anyway, from this expirience I learned « Women are the Rake » (I heard this quote somewhere at least, and makes sense). I had a 6-year-relationship until ~1 year ago, sort of on and off, and it has always prevented me to fullfil my full potential in all aspects anyways. This all showed me I should focus on myself the most and the things that are important to me, and Poker is definitely one of the important things to me.

Sorry for this little off-topic, but this kind of was a little mindset-lesson for myself at least.

Anyway, I certainly should increase my average buy in overall, I do not know why I still stuck with high volume on 5€ DoNs, I am a little scared, while my bankroll would allow me to play much, much higher (I do not cash out often because I simply do not need it, I usually just grind up and then cash out like half of my bankroll when it becomes stupid much for my buy ins). This year I have so far not made one cash-out below 4-digits, for instance. Cashing out small amounts over and over would just lower my motivation because I want to win back this amount as quick as possible.

What might kind of keep me away from moving up is probably my results in 10€ 6max so far. This is how this year went so far in them:

As you can see, I once peaked 80BuyIn under EV at one point. Of course the overall result with just 1% EV ROI is not satisfying too, but probably I have to accept that playing as many tables as I do. With VIP Rakeback this would still be ~0.25€ per game. Being stuck at just 5€ 6max is definitely not what I want to do forever and I should get out of my comfort-zone at some point. I will also try to mix in some 20€ 6max during night time when traffic becomes low. Games are just too good to miss them out and like I said, bankroll allows it. Hell, I mean, 100% I have a bigger bankroll than some of the Regs playing 20€-50€ mixed all day. But I will take it step by step.

Fullring DoNs: Varies quite a lot. Some days games are just horrible with 6-7 Regs per game (and I still do not understand why Regs register for Games where they already see 6 Regs in, but normally the Regs that do this are the worst Regs of the games anyways), some days it is pretty good but volume is not so good in them because of less Regs. But I would take softer games for lower volume anytime, a lot more profitable, that’s simply the truth. We will have to see how these games evolve over the next weeks.

But the same problem applies in the 6max DoNs as well at specific times:

One Reg worse than the next and still they register into the same games (Reg Man probably being somewhat decent but still he will 100% lose money in a game like this too). I just do not understand, during a hard grind session I always register all games first and hope they will wake up, but I probably should just accept almost none of all Regs will wake up in this sense and act accordingly (start game-selecting again).
Next 2 days I will visit my family in another City (have not seen my siblings and my mother for like 6 months already) but play some games on laptop, to make the last miles I need for my Diamond3 Bonus.

Anyways, as I see I have already written quite a wall of text, these are my goals for June:

• 5K Games/120+ hours grind (hitting one of these is enough, but should be roughly the same anyways, I plan to decrease my table count a little, but knowing myself I probably will not lol)

• Play at least 300+ MTTs

• Average buy in of 6€+ (would mean I have to play more 10€ and 20€ DoNs slowly, which is much needed)

• 700€+ Rakeback (Daily Challenge, Miles and VIP Bonuses all count)

• Maintain 0.20€/Game+ in EV pre rakeback (this will probably be the hardest of all, to be fair)

I will wrap it up here,
Good luck at the tables! :smiley:

Ahah, that’s ridiculous, a short handed DoN with 5 regs !

I don’t even queue full rings with more than 5 regs !
As you said, it’s very hard to win money in games like those. That’s basically the reason why I stop playing in the afternoon.

But the games are still nice in the evening !